Productivity Assessment Tool
Productivity Assessment Tool
Measure your Organization
The Productivity Assessment Tool helps companies improve their growth potential and profitability.
If you are a small-to-medium size company
in one of Alberta’s industrial products and services sectors, the Tool will:
- Identify where your organization or team is adding value
- Indicate where opportunities exist to eliminate waste and increase your competitiveness
- Connect you to tools, resources, and services to help you improve your bottom line.
Working through the Productivity Assessment Tool, you’ll be able to critically analyse your business and uncover the opportunities for improvement. Specifically, it measures the relative strengths and weaknesses of your organization in its ability to compete and be more profitable.
The tool looks at the following areas:
Leadership and Management
Leadership and management are critical factors in a productive and competitive business. In fact, leadership is often considered the most important issue in determining the productive capability of an organization. Certain leadership styles contribute to productivity, while others constrain it.
Though it can be difficult to separate leadership from management, for the Productivity Assessment Tool, we define leadership as “doing the right things”. Management is about “doing things right.”
The Leadership and Management section of the assessment focuses on a variety of core competencies in this area – from human resources and performance management to production management and leadership by example. The Tool then quantifies how Leadership and Management are either helping or hindering your productivity growth.
Operations are the action elements of your business. More than manufacturing processes, it includes the entire functional operation of your organization, from office to shop floor. Everything your company does in a day involving a process is a component of operations.
The Productivity Assessment Tool focuses on a variety of core competencies needed for successful Operations. This includes workspace organization, continuous flow, training and process management. The Tool quantifies how productive your operations are relative to leading practices in your industry.
Continuous improvement is all about innovation, which is fundamental to creating business value. Effective innovators have a better chance at surviving than non-innovators.
Innovation means much more than invention. To be highly competitive, businesses must also focus on other forms of productivity innovation. Over 80% of innovation is non-technical. And to be competitive, you must be able to capture multiple forms and sources of innovation, including applying your products to new markets, integrating systems solutions and making product and process improvements.
The Productivity Assessment Tool measures the ability of organization to innovation. Do you have the capacity to change and be agile? Do people in your organization have the power to innovate…is it rewarded? How you rate in these areas will tell you how strong or weak your business is when it comes to Innovation.
Questions about the Tool
How long will the Tool take?
- The Tool is available in both a short version (about 45 minutes to complete) and a long version (about 120 minutes to complete).
Am I the right person within my organization to be completing the assessment?
- The Tool was developed for business owners and managers, as well as work teams and divisions.
- Every person within a company has a different perspective on the performance of the company as a whole, of their division, or their immediate work unit. There are no right or wrong assessments, but you may be best able to assess the part of the company in which you directly work.
- The Tool is also a great instrument to assess variances between different people in the team or organization. Some companies today are using it as a strategic planning instrument for their teams.
Do I complete the Tool on my own?
- The Tool can be completed in a number of ways:
- On your own
- With the help of an advisor at Productivity Alberta
- With your management group
- The Tool shows its real power when completed across departments, divisions, or work teams.
By completing the Assessment, you’ll have a clearer picture of your productivity strengths and weaknesses. Then, with the help of Productivity Alberta, you’ll be connected to specific tools and services tailored to improve your business’ productivity and competitiveness.